SMITHSONIAN FOLKWAYS IS LOOKING FOR A NEW DIGITAL MARKETING AND DISTRIBUTION SPECIALIST
Smithsonian Folkways is seeking applications for a new position within the marketing department specializing in digital distribution and creative marketing campaigns.
The ideal candidate has experience conceptualizing and executing dynamic marketing campaigns for independent artists or record labels, and has a solid knowledge of the music contained in the Smithsonian Folkways catalog.
This position will maintain and develop connections with DSPs such as Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal and Pandora, as well as develop content for these platforms and the Smithsonian Folkways website. The position reports to the Marketing Manager and works closely with the Folkways Marketing team.
Preference will be given to applicants who reside in or will relocate to the National Capital Region (Washington/Baltimore metro area), although applicants from other US locations will be considered.
- Coordinates Smithsonian Folkways catalog presence on digital service providers including but not limited to Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Tidal, Qobuz and others.
- Develops strategies and campaigns for the visibility of new versions on DSPs.
- Develops a long-term strategy for audio and video in coordination with the marketing manager.
- Reports on analyzes and statistics of the catalog and new versions.
- Acts as a point of contact with digital distribution partners and develops campaigns for the benefit of Smithsonian Folkways with external partners at DSPs and the label’s digital distributor.
- Communicates Smithsonian Folkways marketing priorities to relevant industry partners.
- Ensures timely and accurate delivery of data for catalog and new releases.
- Leads the creation of playlists and digital-only releases under the direction of the Marketing Manager and in conjunction with the Marketing Team and Production Manager.
- Maintains organization of relevant documents, digital files and other related documents.
- Other assigned tasks.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field.
- Minimum 2-5 years of work experience in the independent music industry, primarily with work related to digital distribution and marketing.
- A shared understanding and passion for the music and mission of Smithsonian Folkways Recordings.
- Attention to detail and strong writing skills.
A creative approach to music marketing and an ability to listen and collaborate.
- A work style compatible with deep teamwork and collaboration with marketing team colleagues.
- Tenacity and ability to keep up with new developments and trends in a rapidly changing music industry.
- Excellent planning and execution skills; ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and balance multiple projects.
- An eye on how new technologies are integrated into music marketing techniques.
- A passion for new music with adventurous listening habits, including traditional music.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, Filemaker and basic photo, audio and video editing software.
- Salary: Annual salary is based on the GS-9 level of the federal General Schedule (GS) pay system.
For benefits, please see information on the Smithsonian OHR website.
Please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected]. Applications close at midnight on September 25, 2022.