Newsquest is looking for an SEO & Trends Editor to lead a growing team of SEO journalists writing for some of Newsquest’s biggest and best regional titles across the UK.
Every day our online news brands reach millions of people across the UK, and you will lead a team of motivated and innovative journalists who will take our research content to the next level as Newsquest invests in the future of its state-of-the-art digital coverage.
This role presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced journalist with specialist SEO knowledge to take the next step in their career and help shape our content, creatively lead a team and exemplify best practices in creating first-class search-friendly content yourself.
The position also works hand-in-hand with our product, data and UX specialists on the structural side of SEO development, with a strong editorial voice to guide decisions on maximizing our content visibility through technological advancements.
You will ideally have worked in a specialist SEO role at a national or regional publisher and be comfortable spotting and analyzing trends, as well as putting together a detailed SEO plan with the help of your team.
Our SEO content team harnesses the topics leading the national conversation – as well as shapes them – while making them relevant and insightful to local audiences.
If you want to lead a team delivering the kind of fast, nimble and dynamic SEO-optimized coverage our readers expect and deserve in 2022 – often before they know they want to read it – then this role is for you.
You will be passionate about digital storytelling, with a desire to find new and innovative ways to tell these stories using a wide range of different skills, tools and platforms.
Making data-driven content decisions is a crucial part of this role, and you’ll work closely with data analysts to equip your team with the skills and insights they need to deliver content.
Our hardworking reporters across the country are Newsquest’s greatest asset. You will be the primary point of contact for editors and senior regional newsroom staff to keep them informed of your team’s activities and gather feedback on your team’s content to make it perfect for each local audience.
Collaboration is also essential. Our SEO team and its leader often work with local news crews to cover massive breaking news and big events to ensure that our coverage doesn’t miss a single angle.
We want to give our readers the content they want to read when they want to read it. Your job will be to anticipate that and use your sparkling writing skills to ensure our coverage is the best and local audiences choose to come first.
- Daily management of a team of journalists and definition of their content priorities
- UK Trends Editor Production Management
- Use SEO skills to reach the widest possible audience
- Work on projects around deeper use and understanding of SEO alongside the product
- Use research tools to find and understand the topics people are looking for
- Identify topics in which local brands can legitimately become an authority and provide them with this information in a way that is easy to understand and use
- Work with data analysts to make informed content decisions for the team
- Work alongside Newsquest’s dedicated SEO Affiliate Manager
- Build our digital audience to bring our content to even more people in the community
- Design and manage a carefully plotted SEO planning calendar to ensure we don’t miss a thing
- In-depth knowledge of analytics platforms to identify content priorities and opportunities
- Keep your team informed of progress and hold regular sessions to share ideas, best practices, successes and skills
- Be the key contact for newsrooms across the country to ensure coverage meets the needs of local markets
Our ideal candidate will have
- Excellent leadership and people skills in order to lead and enthuse a team as well as communicate with high-level editorial personalities
- A thorough understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) and skills in producing content that works in search
- Strong understanding of data and analytics using a range of tools and platforms
- Experience in news publishing, specializing in SEO and search content
- Skills in analyzing this data in order to make quick and informed content decisions
- A knack for knowing what readers want to read, using both your current acumen and data insights
- Passion for telling stories that will grow new and diverse audiences
- Exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to write – and think – quickly under pressure
- A keen sense of current affairs
- Idea bags on how stories can be presented in the best possible way for our audience
- An understanding of what audiences want, and when
- Excellent social media skills and ability to spot stories and hot topics
- NCTJ qualification
- Excellent knowledge of relevant media law
- An adaptable style to produce everything from live blogs and lists to long reads and features
- A high level of organization and the ability to manage their own agenda
- Collaborative skills to pool ideas with the extended digital reporting team and consider suggestions from newsrooms
Click apply now to submit your resume.