LORAIN COUNTY, Ohio — If you love kids, Lorain County school districts need your help with subclassing.
The Lorain County Educational Services Center (ESC) is hosting a “Substitute Teacher Job Fair” on Wednesday, August 24 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 1885 Lake Avenue in Elyria, Ohio.
“It’s really the top priority,” said Franco Gallo, superintendent of the Lorain County Educational Services Center (ESC). “We are looking for people of all levels, from kindergarten to 12th grade.”
Gallo says their schools are desperate. He says that during the pandemic many substitutes have left for various reasons and it has been difficult trying to fill those vacancies for the new school year.
“We are looking for a normal year this year. And we just want to bring back some of those people who might have taken time out,” he said. “They will be asked about their preferences regarding where they would like to work, school districts, grade levels, buildings.”
According to Gallo, the position offers real flexibility.
“You can work as often or as infrequently as you want,” he said. “We even have an app now where you can see all the jobs listed each day and you can click on the job you want to accept.”
As for pay, Gallo says a substitute teacher can make $120 a day “on the low end” and about $200 a day in Lorain County. As he explained, “In Lorain County, we are one of the highest-paying districts for substitute teachers.”
Gallo says it’s an opportunity to show they can make a difference in the community.
“I want to make sure these people get out there, try it, and maybe they find something that they might want to do for the rest of their lives. We never know.”
If you cannot attend the job fair in person, you can apply online. For more information, click here.
Substitute Teacher Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Own criminal history.
- Three positive professional references.
- Experience working with school-aged children.
What you need if you attend the job fair:
- Your CV for on-site interviews.
- Two forms of identification (Social Security card, driver’s license, birth certificate, or passport.)
- A void check or letter from your bank with payroll/direct deposit account information.
- Copy of official transcripts.
- Copy of BCI and FBI background check results (within the last 365 days.) Background checks will be available for $60 (cash, check or money order only.)