Whether you need extra income to supplement your nine-to-five job or want to transition to an entirely remote working life, learning how to make money from home can be a rewarding experience. And, if you’re interested in working from home, you’re not alone. Data shows that the number of people working from home has increased by 159% since 2009.
However, as the number of people working from home increases, the competition to land a remote job is also increasing. If you want to learn how to make money from home, check out our comprehensive guide to finding work from home jobs that might suit your needs.
Assess your skills
There are countless ways to make money working from home. The right opportunity for you will very much depend on your skills, although there are entry-level jobs from home. The first thing to do when looking for work from home is to take the time to determine where you have experience, skills and training. This can help you sift through work-from-home opportunities to find ones that match your skills.
To assess your skills, sit down and write down all of the following information:
- All degrees you hold and where you earned them
- Previous work experience with details of your responsibilities and accomplishments
- Technical skills you possess, such as proficiency in specific software or a specific platform
- Certifications you hold
This information should reflect what you have in your up-to-date CV. Listing all of your relevant skills and backgrounds can help you focus your search on ways to make money from home.
Compare types of work from home
There are a wide variety of types of work from home today. Different job styles will have different requirements, compensation, and expectations.
Side hustles of the house
In some cases, a work-from-home opportunity may be considered a side hustle or gig job. For these remote jobs, you will generally be an entrepreneur rather than a full-time employee. They often offer the most flexibility, as you can set your own hours and take on whatever work you want. Some examples of side work from home jobs include freelance writing, video editing, coding, or transcription work.
Some home jobs are advertised as remote positions. These jobs are essentially the same as what previously would have been an office role, but are offered by companies that have transitioned to a remote workforce. There are a large number of remote positions available as more companies begin to allow home office work using virtual technology.
Work from home – no experience or entry level
Sometimes you’ll see job postings specifically for those who don’t have experience in a field. These jobs usually state “no experience necessary” or “entry-level position” in the ad. They are ideal for people who are just starting out in the professional world. Common work-from-home positions that do not require experience include sales jobs or customer service positions.
Jobs for stay-at-home moms and dads
Often those raising children are looking for a way to earn an income while caring for children at home. Jobs for stay-at-home moms or dads can range from a traditional office job done remotely to running an in-home daycare center.
Self-employment or self-employment
In some cases, you can make money working from home by starting your own business or working for yourself. Selling products through an e-commerce store, undertaking freelance work, or working in contract positions are great ways to earn money without being beholden to a traditional employer.
Look for options
When looking for ways to make money from home, the key is to make sure you are looking for legitimate work from home jobs. To weed out jobs that aren’t legit, look for these common scam signs:
- The position requires you to spend your own money on materials and training
- You have to buy products to sign up, like pyramid schemes and multi-level marketing (MLM) jobs
- The post asks you to do something unethical, like leaving fake reviews
When looking for ways to make money from home, you can use job boards to search for remote positions, start your own business, or register as a freelancer on platforms that will connect you with potential customers.
If you’re considering applying for a job that lets you work from home, follow these steps to make sure you’re doing your best:
- Polish your resume: Make sure your resume is up-to-date and error-free. If you need help, check out our resume guide, which includes access to a free resume rewrite.
- Write a cover letter: When submitting an application, if possible, include a cover letter. To learn more about writing great cover letters, check out our cover letter resources.
- Practice interview questions: Before your first interview, take some time to practice answering common questions with a family member or friend. To prepare for the most common interview questions, use our helpful Interview Tips.
Frequently asked questions about working from home
As you explore the wide range of work from home opportunities, check out the following helpful information answering the most common questions about how to make money from home.
What are the advantages of earning money from home?
Earning money from home gives you more flexibility than an office position. For many, this makes it easier to find a better work-life balance. By working from home, you can reduce commuting times and even continue to raise children or care for family members.
Is working from home right for me?
While working from home allows for great flexibility and convenience, it’s not the ideal fit for everyone. As you consider your options, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I have the self-discipline to work from home? In many cases, working alone will require you to set your own hours, hold yourself accountable, and stay motivated without the supervision of a boss. If this is something you struggle with, working from home can be a challenge.
- Do I like spending time alone? Unlike working in a retail or office setting, when you work from home you may be spending a lot of time alone. If you thrive in a team environment, working from home may not be a good choice. However, many remote positions still allow you to work within a virtual team. With technology, you can combat the isolation of working from home.
- Do I have the time and space to complete my work? Working from home requires you to be able to dedicate at least part of your day to focusing on your work. Having your own office space and setting aside time away from home responsibilities will help you be more successful.
Are there examples of ways to make money from home?
Here are all the common examples of work from home opportunities:
- Sales Advisor
- Customer Service Representative
- virtual assistant
- Data entry specialist
- Freelance writer
- Social Media Manager
- SEO Specialist
- Product reviewer
- Travel agent
- home care provider
- Pet care at home
- Virtual receptionist
- E-commerce store owner
- Software QA
- UX designer
- course instructor