On Halloween, we all love a good scare. But don’t let your job search haunt you! Check out these career tips to make sure you don’t scare off potential employers.
don’t be a ghost
Ghosting at work, whether you do it to an employer, or an employer does it to you, cause chaos for everyone. Not only is ghosting an employer or potential employer unprofessional, it’s also dangerous. In fact, if a student fails to show up for a shift at their on-campus job and does not notify their boss in advance, supervisors are required to report that student as missing from the University. Networking continues to reign as the most powerful job search technique and ghost images are burning bridges. Long story short, even declining a job offer should involve open communication, as evidenced by this email template.
Resurrect your CV
- Upload your CV for comments: Employers often form their first impression of you based on your resume. Make sure your CV is up to date with all new activities and experiences as well as skills and competences you have acquired or strengthened. Include relevant courses and update your GPA! Then upload your resume to Handshake for career services feedback.
- Are you ready for a career? The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) has identified foundational skills as a career readiness measure. Evaluate if you have these skills and where you can improve. When writing your resume and/or cover letter, be sure to highlight experiences that demonstrate these skills.
Don’t be reclusive, build your website
Did you know that half to over 80% of jobs are filled through networking? One of the best ways to grow your network is to connect with hiring managers and recruiters who host events for Montclair State University students.
To see all upcoming events and workshops, log in your handshake accountthen click Events on top navigation. These upcoming events are open to ALL students.
- FSBUS Wells Fargo: Setting Financial Goals (Campus to Career): Wednesday, November 2, 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., online.
- Chubb Career Series: Why Start Your Insurance Career? : Thursday, November 3, 1-2 p.m., online.
- Fisher Investments – Job offer, now what? : Friday, November 4, from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., online.
- MEDITECH – Healthcare IT Careers for ALL Majors! : Tuesday, November 8, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m., online.
- CART Employer Series – Montclair State University Galleries and MANA Fine Arts: Wednesday, November 9, from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., University Galleries, 4th floor of the Red Hawk Deck.
- NJ TRANSIT 2023 Summer Internship Information Session: Wednesday, November 9, 2-3 p.m., online.
- FSBUS recruiter secrets revealed with Enterprise: Wednesday, November 9, 2-3:30 p.m., online.
- KIPP NJ Public Schools Information Session: Wednesday, November 9, 2-4 p.m., University Hall, Room 3054.
- America Needs You (ANY) Briefing: Thursday, November 10, 5-6 p.m., online.
Decide that “witch” jobs are a good choice
Employers on and off campus post jobs and internships weekly in Handshake. To start looking for opportunities, log in to your Handshake account using your NetID and password, then click Jobs in the top navigation bar. Here are a few that were released this week!
On-the-go career goodies
These resources are available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
- Focus-2 is an online career planning and training tool designed to help you make decisions about your career goals and training plans. You will be able to assess your values, skills and interests and explore career areas and major areas of study compatible with your assessment results. Learn more!
- Workshops on demand lets you watch recorded webinars when it’s convenient for you. Need help writing your CV? Are you preparing for an upcoming interview? Our webinars cover a wide range of career development topics. Look now!
- Connect to Handshake from your phone! Download the Handshake Jobs & Careers App to quickly search, filter and apply for jobs right from your phone! You can also use the app to schedule consulting appointments, respond to events, and view job fair event details and booth layouts, all while on the go! Download on the AppStore | Download on Google Play