EIGHT is the fastest indie super premium to launch in Texas. This is your chance to be an integral part of building something special, taking on the titans of our industry, and truly owning your success. Come join the hunt – we’re just getting started.
EIGHT Brewing Co. (EIGHT) – Who we are
EIGHT is on a mission to encourage the pursuit of greatness, raising a glass at special times along the way. Based in Austin, we’re a Texas-based company designed for “early risers” – those who are dedicated to improving their lives by exercising religiously, drinking wisely, staying mentally fit and leading a healthy lifestyle. useful. Team EIGHT is a bunch of no-frills, no-ego go-getters. Like our founder, Troy Aikman, we wake up every day excited to build a first-class business in the world’s most competitive consumer category.
Channel Director – What we need from you
We are looking for a resourceful and hands-on Channel Manager to build and nurture our most important customer relationships in the state of Texas. We have ambitious goals to establish EIGHT as a significant new entrant in the super premium domestic beer space. Given the market structure of the state’s retail environment, grocery, convenience store, liquor chains and on-site customers are unavoidable. The Channel Director will own these relationships, setting account-level goals, directing strategy, developing programming, tracking results, and cultivating deep, mutually beneficial client relationships.
Your working style – What you need to succeed
- Personal motivation – This role is highly autonomous. Although you will always have the support of the management team and the wider sales team, this role often operates independently and with minimal direct supervision. Our success depends on our team proactively identifying needs and opportunities, then ensuring that the necessary work is done.
- Customer empathy – Our clients’ success will precede ours, which is why your ability to put yourself in their shoes and anticipate their needs – ideally before they do – is essential. Those who bring our product to market must believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that we have their best interests in mind as well as our own, and that while those interests may not always converge, we will build relationships based on transparency and mutual trust that we strive to strengthen on a daily basis.
- The mindset of a scammer – As a new start-up, we have less staff and less money compared to our competitors, so we have to find creative ways to achieve our goals despite the constraints. No task can be too small – “not my job” is not in the job description.
- Ability to collaborate – We all share a common goal and we must maximize the shared result. Good ideas can come from anywhere, and while we may respectfully disagree at first, once the team commits to a plan of action, we all pitch in wholeheartedly. The Channel Director must work across functions and support large-scale projects involving multiple team members and external partners.
- Attention to detail – The devil is in the details, after all, and at EIGHT we believe in doing everything first class. The client and consumer only see our execution. Everything we put out into the world must live up to this standard.
Work – Why we count on you
- Represent the EIGHT brand to the elite among Texas retailers
- Develop close personal relationships with key customers across offsite, onsite, and digital channels, working to understand customer needs, strategic initiatives we can build on, and pain points we can help them address
- Coordinate plans closely with our distributor key account teams, ensuring they have the latest information on customer plans and execution needs
- Lead the Annual Business Planning (ABP) process and quarterly adjustments with our key account partners
- Closely monitor KPIs and targets established in the ABP, working with our team and distributors to optimize performance over time.
- Represent EIGHT at trade shows, industry conferences and key customer events
- Maximize physical presence of EIGHT in retail
- Develop account segmentation and prioritization strategies that will drive smart distribution – one that extends brand presence and reaches our drinkers without going overboard
- Establish guidelines for proper merchandising of onsite and offsite accounts
- Identify all necessary point-of-sale materials and manage the allocation and use of these materials, in conjunction with our trade marketing team.
- Develop staff/bartender training programs, tasting schedules, etc.
- Plan and coordinate on-site and off-site promotions as needed
- Train, schedule and manage third-party sampling teams based on specific client needs
- Ensure EIGHT has a top-notch sales function
- Act effectively within budget guidelines
- Track and monitor the progress of all identified accounts
- Collect and analyze data on distributor pricing, distribution, volume and general market information
- Compile and submit necessary reports to the sales division to demonstrate market penetration, team and incentive program effectiveness, areas of opportunity, etc.
- Comply with all state and federal laws relating to the sale, merchandising and promotion of malt beverages
The basics – What we expect you to bring to the table
- 3-5 years of experience in the beverage alcohol industry, preferably leading key account relationships within your geographic or retail segment
- Ability to interact with different levels of management at the wholesale and retail level
- The ability to manage multiple tasks with competing timelines and deliverables
- Cross-functional work history to move projects forward
- Evidence of success in leading key business initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to take a project from ideation to implementation
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to speak in front of client teams, organize staff trainings and organize parties
- Excellent written, verbal and technical communication skills
- Willingness to travel at night, reliable transportation and a good driving record
- Willingness and availability to work evenings and weekends
- Located or willing to relocate to Texas
Benefits – Benefits of working at EIGHT
At EIGHT, we take our job seriously, but not ourselves. We make beer after all. Our mission is to support those who are constantly striving to improve and ensure they have a cool, refreshing beer to celebrate the victories – big and small – along the way. We live these values ourselves, we encourage each other to adopt healthy lifestyles, we challenge ourselves to constantly seek improvements and we strive to balance work, self and family.
We’re a young, scrappy new brand to disrupt a category that’s taken its drinkers for granted for far too long. While we don’t have a huge infrastructure, we don’t have the bureaucracy that comes with it either. At EIGHT, you will own your work and significantly shape the course of our growth.
Diversity matters – We are an equal opportunity employer
At EIGHT, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy (including childbirth , breastfeeding and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, information genetics (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristics protected by applicable law. The EIGHT team believes that diversity and inclusion amongst our teammates is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.