The Quarto co-publishing brands – Quarto Adults and Quintessence – are looking for an editor. This is a great opportunity to join a friendly, collaborative and talented team at an exciting stage in their growth and help shape the way two busy imprints work while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
Who we are:
Quarto is one of the world’s leading publishers of highly attractive illustrated non-fiction co-publishing for the international market. Quarto Adults publishes on a range of topics from crafts and art education, to reference, wellness and esotericism. Quintessence publishes leading titles in the fields of art and design, culture, natural history and science. In both editions, we work with expert authors to create innovative books with editorial integrity and strong design values. Books should have international appeal and are built to last.
Who are you/the role:
An experienced editor looking for a new challenge or an editor looking for the next step. You must be very organized and have a good team spirit, with excellent diplomatic skills. Commercially savvy, you must be a creative problem solver and have experience working in a fast-paced environment on an eclectic range of topics. You must be able to identify and attract new freelance talent and be passionate about maintaining a high level of editorial quality and integrity.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Manage and support the team live on the Quarto Adult and Quintessence lists
- Allocation of titles to project publishers (internal and external) and supervision of live books allocated to each publisher; ensure they are on time and on budget, meet specifications and meet customer expectations and contractual requirements.
- Work with the Art Director to establish budgets and with the internal editorial team in the book planning and briefing process
- Drafting contracts for freelance writers and project editors.
- Review manuscript/layouts/proofs/jackets with each title’s editor at agreed stages to ensure they meet the brief.
- Troubleshooting, support and advice on editorial issues related to each title.
- Reimbursement of absences when editors are sick or on annual leave
- Liaise with the Legal department as necessary to ensure that Quarto and Quintessence make informed decisions about the content of our books.
- Keep the editor informed of the live program and any issues that arise
- Work with publisher, commissioning editor and internal creative teams to know the backlist and leverage existing assets
- Ensure that all of our co-publishing clients receive good customer service
What you will bring
- Knowledge and understanding of the global blended education market
- Strong commercial acumen and understanding of the market
- A passion for delivering excellence from original commission to finished book
- Effective and empathetic communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to influence and manage key stakeholders to ensure roster delivery
- Flexible and adaptable team spirit
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Confidence in budgeting and contracting with freelance writers and talent
- Ability to think strategically and respond quickly to customer requests
- Attention to detail and tenacity to see through complicated projects
Please apply in writing, attaching your CV and a one-page letter telling us why you think you would be suitable for the position. Please email email@example.com. The application deadline is May 27, 2022.
This is a full-time position currently two days a week in the office, increasing to three in September.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.