Take your chance to join the Social housing Ocean Media Group team, working on the go-to funding publication for the UK affordable housing sector as Editor or Managing Reporter (depending on experience). You will share our passion for providing authoritative, market-leading information that helps our audience excel in a much-needed industry.
Based in Canary Wharf, Ocean Media is both well established and strongly positioned for growth. The group is packed with leading products in its key markets, spanning events, publications and data services.
You will work specifically for Social housing magazine, firmly established as the reference financial publication for the affordable housing sector. We provide authoritative data insights, analysis and research to the housing finance community through our monthly magazine, weekly newsletters, online coverage and flagship industry events.
Readers include senior finance, development and executive leaders from housing associations and councils, as well as lenders, investors, advisors and industry partners.
We are looking for an ambitious journalist ready to take the next step in their career as an editor or managing journalist who will help us continue to grow our readership and reach. The successful candidate will help set the agenda for high-level decision-makers as the sector mobilizes to meet unprecedented challenges amid sustained demand.
You will focus on producing insightful, accurate and timely news and analysis, within a small, agile team.
Your role will include:
- Provide a mix of news for the weekly newsletter and monthly print edition, including regular exclusives and add value to content that readers don’t get elsewhere, through an analytical approach
- Present and write longer features, writing approximately one per monthly release
- Representing Social housing at industry events and conferences
- Manage and edit online comment submissions and create weekly newsletters
- Support the Editor and Data Editor to deliver the monthly print cycle, including some edits as needed, as well as digital best practices on the website and social channels
You will have:
- Interest and aptitude for financial journalism
- A minimum of two years of experience in local, national or commercial news outlets (some financial or data reporting experience is preferred)
- A keen eye for news and a proven track record of securing important exclusive reporting and writing accurate, high-quality news pieces, on time
- Excellent knowledge of media law and journalism degree equivalent to NCTJ standard
- Good working knowledge of the main issues affecting the UK economic and political environment
- Fast and enthusiastic learner, able to tackle new topics quickly
- Experience managing and building contacts and using them to deliver exclusive stories
- Ability to research and write longer stories – including investigation and analysis
- Strong mastery of numbers; some experience using Excel for basic data analysis/graphing
In recognition of our talented employees and as a thank you for the hard work they do, we are committed to providing:
- Flexible working hours
- Development and training
- 25 days of annual leave + public holidays + an extra day to be taken for birthdays
- Pension plan – employer contribution increased by 4%
- Discounted gym membership
- Voluntary health care plan
- Benefits platform with discounts and savings on shopping, outings, vacations, cinema, etc.
- Bike2Work program
- Life insurance
- Subscription loan
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Annual Christmas and summer parties and regular social activities
To start your ocean journey, please send your CV and a short cover letter to Madeleine Thomson at email@example.com including “Social Housing Recruitment” in the title.
Deadline: June 8, 2022